LOW CARB PIZZA
I literally cannot express how EXCITED I am to share this low-carb pizza.
I have spent hours, days, weeks, months..TRYING to come up with the perfect versatile low-carb dough recipe.
I have wasted countless bags of almond flour, coconut flour, yeast packets, olive oil…you name it.
But today, knowing it was all worth it, I have ZERO regrets.
This pizza is DELICIOUS. The dough feels like real dough after it rises, it bakes like real dough..it’s just perfect. The key ingredient in this recipe is Vital Wheat Gluten.
Now don’t freak-out and rush to leave an angry comment saying: “I THOUGHT THIS RECIPE WAS LOW-CARB!” ..Hear me out.
Vital Wheat Gluten is the Gluten protein extracted from flour. It is essentially carb-less. It’s the protein that gives bread structure.
IT’S A PROTEIN not a carb my friends.
YES if you have a gluten allergy you should avoid using it but if you, like me, eat low-carb/keto and track macros but never were allergic to wheat, just had an issue over-eating carbs and sometimes got a bit bloated after a very carb-heavy meal…
Then Vital Wheat Gluten is 100% OK to have on a low-carb diet and WILL NOT knock you out of ketosis. It’s actually a pretty fantastic, cool little ingredient.
That said, I have also included another version of the low-carb pizza that IS gluten-free and does not use vital wheat gluten.
Both versions tasted great (I had my family all taste test them). Everyone liked both equally but the vital wheat gluten version is much more similar to traditional pizza crust if that’s what you are going for.
Now that we’ve got all that out of the way..let’s get on to the recipe for the best low-carb pizza you will ever experience.
Serves: 1 medium thick crust pizza OR 1 large thin crust pizza
- 3/4 cup warm water OR 1/2 cup warm water IF using xanthan gum/psyllium husks
- 1 1/2 tsp dry active yeast (I used quick-rise yeast)
- 1 tsp white sugar (THIS WILL BE EATEN BY THE YEAST, IT IS NECESSARY, it will not affect the final product)
- 1/4 cup(60g) 14% sour cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups(168g) almond flour
- 1/2 cup(64g) Vital Wheat Gluten OR 1 tbsp xanthan gum & 1/4 cup ground psyllium husks
- 1/4 cup(30g) coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2tsp Italian spices (optional)
- In a large bowl, add your warm water, yeast and sugar. Let sit for about 5min.
- While waiting, combine all of your dry ingredients in a separate bowl (whisk with a fork), set aside.
- In another small bowl, microwave your sour cream for roughly 20-25s (just until slightly warm).
- Once your yeast has foamed(make sure it is not old!), add your olive oil and sour cream and stir together.
- Next stir in your flour until a dough begins to form.
- Use your hands to knead the dough for roughly 3-4min.
- Form the dough into a neat ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover with saran wrap and place somewhere warm for 40min (I usually heat my oven to a low-temp for a while before-hand then shut it off and leave the dough in there either with the door open or closed depending on how hot it is).
- After 40min, pre-heat your oven to 450*F(Or 400*F for thicker dough).
- Remove the dough from the bowl(it should now be about 1.5x its original size or larger(less if using the xanthan gum/psyllium version)).
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment OR greased with oil, roll out into desired shape and thickness(I would have done mine just a little thinner if I had the option to do it over!)
- Brush with olive oil(optional) and either..top with whatever your heart desires then bake for about 10-12min or until lightly browned for a THIN CRUST. OR for a thicker crust, bake at a lower temp(350-400*F) until partially cooked, then add your topping and place back in the oven at 450*F to finish cooking! Enjoy your low-carb pizza!
I topped mine with low-carb barbecue sauce(this one), barbecue chicken breast chunks, basil, oregano, garlic powder, grated parmesan cheese and mozzarella.
Note: *You can also make the dough ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to bake it(preferably the next day)*.
Nutrition per 1/8th of pizza(Vital Wheat Gluten Version): 16.5F/3.5C(NET)/11P & 3.5g fibre
Nutrition per 1/8th of pizza(Xanthan Gum/Psyllium Version): 16F/3.3C(NET)/5.4P & 7.7g fibre
*Note* This post may contain affiliate links.