This is a super simple recipe that honestly does not take much time to make! It’s the perfect portion size for a small after-dinner treat or a sweet addition to your daily breakfast. They store easily and taste even BETTER the next day!
***Please see the “starred” ingredients and their corresponding notes below BEFORE making the recipe! Like I said, the recipe is very easy to make but there are quite a few adjustments I included in-case you are missing some of the ingredients and still want to make them or would like to adjust them to be higher protein or lower in carbs.***
I do recommend purchasing Vitafiber and/or vital wheat-gluten if you have not as they have made a HUGE difference to the outcome of many of my keto baked goods, more-so than anything. The Vitafiber helps muffins get that slightly crunchy top and gives cookies a “crispier” texture. Meanwhile the vital wheat -gluten gives baked goods the elasticity and texture of white flour without the added carbs! 🙂
- 1/2 cup coconut flour(56g)
- 1/2 cup almond flour(56g)
- 2 tbsp vital wheat gluten(18g)*
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder(26g)
- 1 scoop cellucor protein powder (35g)**
- 4 tbsp truvia
- 4 tbsp splenda***
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 &1/2 room temperature eggs (whisk an egg pour roughly half(30g) into your recipe with 2 whole eggs)
- 1/4 cup 14% sour cream(60g)
- 1/4 cup 0% plain greek yogurt OR more sour cream for a richer muffin(60g)****
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond mik(120g)
- 2 tbsp vitafiber syrup (30g)*****
- 1/8 tsp molasses (optional, just adds a brown sugar flavour, heat to make it easier to pour)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil(60g)
- 2 tbsp+2 tsp sugar-free chocolate chips (40g) (I USE THESE)
- 2 extra tbsp sugar-free chocolate chips for topping(30g)
- *(YOU CAN SUB 1 TSP XANTHAN GUM + 1 TBSP ALMOND FLOUR FOR A GLUTEN-FREE VERSION)
- ** (OPTIONAL, SEE GREEK YOGURT ADJUSTMENT(****) IF USING)
- ***(YOU CAN SUB 1 SWEETENER FOR THE 2 IF YOU PREFER. JUST REMEMBER TRUVIA IS 3X AS SWEET AS SUGAR SO YOU MAY NEED MORE THAN 4 TBSP)
- ****(ADD 1/2 CUP GREEK YOGURT (or sour cream) INSTEAD IF USING PROTEIN POWDER–>120g)
- ***** (OPTIONAL, ADD 2 TBSP ALMOND MILK IF NOT USING)
- Pre-heat oven to 375*F
- Grease 1-2 mini muffin tin pans with coconut oil (or line the pans and spray the liners with oil) (I ended up making 33).
- Combine all dry ingredients including sugars in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs then add the rest of the wet ingredients EXCEPT the coconut oil.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry until partially incorporated.
- Stir in the coconut oil until combined. *(This is a good time to taste and add additional sweetener if you are using one other than the brands listed)
- Fold in the chocolate chips reserving about 2 tbsp for topping.
- Evenly scoop the batter into each muffin tin and top each one with remaining chocolate-chips.
- Bake at 375* for 7-9min or until a toothpick JUST comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack, then remove gently using a knife.
- Store on the counter for roughly 5 days or freeze in an air-tight container for a quick snack! (I actually preferred mine cold the next day!) Enjoy!
Nutrition for 1 muffin out of 33 (includes protein powder and greek yogurt): 60 calories, 2 NET carbs, 4g fat, 3g protein & 2.5g fibre
(If using sour cream and no protein powder they will be even more keto friendly and lower in carbs!)