KETO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
MAN. These cookies are good.
I originally made keto chocolate chip cookies a few years back (you can find the recipe here) and those were GREAT. But that recipe was more of a crispier cookie that spread more..I hadn’t quite got the texture right yet and was still playing around with the type and ratio of low-carb flour I used.
BUT THESE ONES. I feel like I have finally opened the gates to chocolate heaven.
These keto chocolate chip cookies came out chewy, soft, buttery and NOT CRUMBLY. This was a total win in my books. A coworker even said “If you left these on a plate with a cup of tea, I could easily devour 10 of them!”
Also, these have a lovely story to go along with them..
As I was baking these cookies, just chilling in my PJs, our apartment building fire alarm went off..and of course, me baking, I thought I set it off somehow so I start panicking and run downstairs. lol..
Turns out, there was an actual fire going on in the floor above us.
Everyone was running down the stairs carrying their pets, saying the smelt or saw smoke.
Five fire trucks showed up.
I live with 2 cats myself (my roommate’s cats) so I ran back upstairs like an insane person, flipping coaches and beds until I could find them (they were scared by the alarm).
Thankfully a very nice guy came to help me and we were able to get them in their carrier and bring them down.
After waiting near the door for a while we were told the fire was out and we could return to our apartments.
So with my heart still pounding out of my chest..and still in my pyjamas, we went back up the stairs, let the traumatized cats back out and after calling some family members, I went back to baking these cookies, which thankfully I had not put in the oven just yet.
Needless to say, this may be my most memorable recipe due to the events associated with the baking. But they are also pretty memorable just for how stinkin’ fantatic they turned out. LOL
So without further ado, here is the stinkin’ fantastic keto chocolate chip cookies recipe I’ve been raving about.
I hope you make your own (less heart-racing) memories with these cookies. 🙂
- 1 cup(112g) almond flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp(54g) coconut flour
- 1 tbsp(10g) vital wheat gluten OR 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp(90g) unsalted, room temperature butter
- 6 1/2 tbsp splenda (OR another sweetener that measures like sugar)
- 3 1/2 tbsp truvia (OR 6 tbsp of a sweetener that measures like sugar)
- 1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses (optional-adds brown sugar flavour)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup(60g) stevia-sweetened chocolate-chips (I use THESE or THESE)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350*F.
- In a large bowl, combine your flours, vital wheat gluten(or xanthan gum), baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, beat together your butter, sweeteners, vanilla extract and molasses until light and fluffy.
- Add your eggs and beat again until combined.
- Pour your wet mixture into the dry and stir to until a thick dough forms.
- Fold in your chocolate-chips and then place the dough in the refrigerator for 15-20min.
- Spray/grease a baking sheet with oil.
- Begin rolling your dough into balls (I ended up with 15) and space them evenly apart on the baking sheet.
- Flatten each one slightly with the back of a spoon and place in the oven.
- Bake for 8-9min or until the cookies are JUST set and the bottoms lightly browned. (They will continue baking on the cookie sheet afterwards. You can cook longer if you don’t like the slightly under-cooked middle…(that’s favourite part, haha)).
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 15min or so before removing and placing on a plate.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the freezer for a quick snack in the future! Enjoy!
Nutrition per cookie(1/15th of recipe): 11g of fat | 1.5g of NET carbs | 4g of protein | 3g of fibre