Low Carb Caramel Pecan Protein Muffins w/ Cream Cheese Frosting
Serves: 6-8 (see below)
- 1/2 cup(60g) almond flour (I buy this one: Almond Flour)
- 1 1/2 scoop(62g) vanilla lean body whey protein (or another vanilla whey)
- 1/4 cup(60g) VitaFiber Powder
(OR another 1/4 cup almond flour)
- 2 tbsp Truvia (or 4 tbsp of another sweetener that measures like sugar)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Splenda (or another sweetener that measures like sugar)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- pinch of xanthan gum
(optional but recommended)
- 1 1/2 tbsp(21g) butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup(60g) unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Cinnamon Carmel Filling:
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup truvia sweetener (or 1/2 cup sweetener that measures like sugar)
- 1 egg yolk, whisked
- 2 tbsp(15g) butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp molasses (leave out OR replace with yacon syrup for keto)
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 30g pecans, finely chopped (mine were lightly salted)
Cream Cheese Frosting (OPTIONAL):
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt or cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tbsp Splenda
(more or less to taste)
- 1 tbsp almond milk (or any milk) (Up to 2 tbsp milk if using cream cheese)
- 1/16 tsp of vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350*F
- In a medium sauce-pan, combine all caramel filling ingredients except nuts.
- Turn heat just below high and stir constantly until the mixture starts to boil
- Once boiling, keep stirring constantly for about 30s
- Remove from heat and check thickness, it should be just a bit thinner than your average caramel sauce
- If not, boil a little longer while whisking constantly until desired thickness is reached (*note: it will thicken more as it cools).
- Remove from heat, pour in a bowl and stir in the nuts. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk and egg.
- Add the wet to the dry mixture and stir in the melted butter until everything is combined.
- Using a prepared muffin tin lined with muffins cups AND sprayed with oil, fill each one with just enough batter to cover the bottom.
- Next drop 1 spoonful of the caramel mixture on top.
- Add another scoop of the batter, enough to fill the muffin tin about 1/2-3/4 of the way full. Then repeat with the remaining caramel sauce.***
- Swirl the top of each muffin with a toothpick.
- Bake for 18-22min or until the muffins have risen and a toothpick JUST comes out clean, don’t over-bake. (*note some caramel sauce might get on the toothpick but the muffin will be cooked!)
- Mix together all Frosting ingredients if using.
- Cool slightly before removing from the pan. Pour frosting on top of muffins just before serving warm!
***NOTE: I made 6 large muffins but you could easily make 8 regular ones, which i recommend because I believe they would rise better in the center. Nutrition is listed for both options, frosting is not included as this is optional.
Nutrition for 1/6th of recipe: 16F/4C(NET)/11P & 11g fibre
Nutrition for 1/8th of recipe: 12F/3C(NET)/8P & 8g fibre
Follow: @sammysamgirl on IG for more!