These are one of those muffins that transform overnight..The next day they are even better and more moist. Trust me, if you can wait, it will be worth it. Loaded with fibre & packed with protein, muffins for breakfast is just what the doctor ordered…
Makes 6 large or 12 medium muffins.
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 tsp molasses (heat the container for a few secs. to make it easier to pour)
- 2-3 tbsp truvia or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 scoop Cellucor Peanut Butter Marshmallow Whey (51g)
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour (15g)
- 6 tbsp whole wheat flour (45g)
- 2 tbsp milled flax seed (20g)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (scant)
- 3 tbsp no sugar added raspberry jam (1/2 tbsp per large muffin or 1 tsp per regular-size muffin)
Optional: 1 cup(140g) fresh or frozen raspberries.
Optional topping: Melted peanut butter/PB2 mixed with a little water/vanilla/truvia to make a “PB & J” version.
Preheat your oven to 375*. Mix the wheat bran w/ your almond milk and let it soak for about 10min. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine your wet ingredients and in a another medium bowl, combine all of your dry ingredients except the truvia sweetener. Now, whisk your bran mixture into the other wet ingredients and fold in your dry mixture. Also fold in the raspberries if you choose and scoop the batter into 6-12 sprayed(with pam) or lined muffin trays. Add a spoonful of the jam to the centre of each muffin before baking. Place in the oven for 15-20min or until the tops are springy and a toothpick comes out relatively clean(ignore the jam on the toothpick, just look for any sign of wet batter!). After baking you CAN eat immediately BUTTT I recommend waiting a day to let the muffins rest and become extra moist and delicious! Enjoy 🙂
Nutrition per medium size muffin: 76cals, 2g fat, 11g carbs, 6g protein & 3.5g fibre
Large Muffins: 151cals, 4g fat, 22 carbs, 12g protein & 7g fibre