Ahh..Summer, the perfect time for swimming, camp fires, long walks and delicious food. Looking for the perfect summer lunch? Try my Open-Faced Avocado Chickpea Sandwich. I love avocado and chickpeas so I thought why not combine them in a beautiful sandwich rather than my typical salad. It turned out super delicious, packed with protein and the perfect meal for vegetarians!
- 1 piece of thick cut whole wheat bread or crustini (I used vitality country harvest, 90cals/slice)
- 1/5 of a large avocado
- 1/4 cup of rinsed and drained chickpeas
- 1/2 tbsp green onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 3-4 chopped cherry tomatoes or 1 slice of tomato chopped
- juice from 1 small wedge of lime (to taste!)
- salt/pepper(to taste)
- a few leaves of fresh spinach
- 1 sliced hardboiled egg
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes
- salt/pepper (to taste)
Directions: In a small bowl, mash together the avocado and chickpeas.(optional-I left out a few chickpeas to add back in later for extra texture). Once combined add in the other salad ingredients and finish-off with salt/pepper & lime until it's seasoned to your liking. Next either toast your bread or leave it as is. Spread the salad mixture on top of the bread then place spinach leaves on top and your egg layer on top of that sprinkled with spices & additional salt/pepper. Now grab a fork and knife or use your hands and dig in! Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts(using vitality bread): 29o calories, 35g carbs, 12g fat, 16g protein, 9g fibre
P.S, My perfect side to this sandwich is a serving of large frozen shrimp thawed and deveined with cocktail sauce…amazing!