Happy almost Easter Everyone! I hope you all are excited for the long weekend. What are your plans? For me Easter is always spent with my grandparents at their farm. I love it there and I get to see all my cousins, aunts and uncles as well. It’s a long drive to get there and we are leaving super early tomorrow (yes I know I should get to bed). So instead of going to bed on time I of course decided to create a breakfast that I could just eat on the road tomorrow, already pre-made. But what I wanted was for my breakfast to include some kind of veggie but be sweet and delicious at the same time..and thus, the Green Monster Breakfast Bars were born. Sorry, no hiding the vegetables in these. The pops of green spinach stick out all throughout these tasty bars. But have no fear, the taste is one thing that is hidden! The ripe banana takes over and lightly sweetens the bar. It also keeps them chewy and moist.
These bars are an entire nutritious meal in one and are amazing for on the go or if you want a fast simple breakfast. They are also very filling and packed with protein! (15g to be exact). If your morning needs a boost try these awesome Green Monster Breakfast Bars.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 2 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 2 scoops or 42 grams vanilla protein powder (I used french vanilla designer whey)
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp honey (or agave syrup, real maple syrup or low sugar syrup) (I used a combination!)
- 2-3 drops stevia extract (or use another sweetener) (This is optional, I left the stevia out but for most people I think they would like the extra sweetness)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup spinach finely chopped (I used a food processor to get very small pieces)
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Stir together mashed banana, almond milk and protein powder.
2. Add the flax and let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes
3. Add all of the other ingredients, stir to combine.
4. Pour the batter into an 8×8 inch pan. Spread evenly!
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and edges are golden brown. Allow to cool before cutting.
6. Slice into 4 large squares and either save in a plastic container on the counter/in the fridge for a few days or freeze for a future delicious breakfast!