Everyone has their own version of these cookies so for me, I had to take inspiration from the best. My mother. Yup every year she makes these using this recipe she’s had for AGES. The cool thing about it is that it’s a bit different from the other versions of this recipe since it uses “sweetened condensed milk” as the main source of sweetness in the cookies. This gives them their characteristic fudgey texture.
Keto Chocolate Mint Snowball Cookies
- 3/4 (85g) cup almond flour
- 3 1/2 (25g)tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp(30g) butter
- 5 tbsp “low-carb sweetened condensed milk” (see recipe below)*
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp splenda (or another sweetener-add to taste)
- 2 1/2 tbsp truvia (or 5 tbsp of another sweetener that measures like sugar-add to taste)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2-1 tsp mint extract (add more or less to taste)
- 2 tbsp(30g) stevia sweetened chocolate-chips (do NOT melt)
- 5 tbsp powdered swerve sweetener
*Ingredients (Low-Carb Sweetened Condensed milk): <– Make this first before starting the full recipe.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp(10g) butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp splenda (or swerve to taste)
- Pinch of xanthan gum as needed
*Directions(Low-Carb Sweetened Condensed Milk)
- In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a boil
- Once boiling, turn down the heat and simmer on low for about 15min, stirring regularly.
- Remove from heat, whisk in your butter, splenda (or another sweetener) and a small pinch of xanthan gum.
- You can add more or less xanthan gum as needed to thicken the cream. (Just be careful not to over-do it!!! A little goes a long way and too much could create a gummy final product.)
- Set aside until needed.
- In a medium size bowl, combine all of your dry ingredients except the additional chocolate-chips and sweeteners.
- In another separate bowl, combine your chocolate-chips and butter. Microwave for 30-40s, stir, and then microwave in 15s intervals until melted.
- Let the mixture cool for 5min before adding your low-carb sweetened condensed milk, egg, vanilla extract, mint extract and sweeteners. Whisk to combine.
- Next add your dry ingredients back to the bowl. Stir until a thick batter forms and add more mint extract and/or sweetener if needed and your 2 tbsp of chocolate-chips.
- Refrigerate the dough, covered for at least an hour before shaping.
- Meanwhile pre-heat your oven to 325*F.
- Place parchment paper on two cookie sheets.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and begin rolling it into small balls(I ended up with 24).
- Place each ball on the parchment paper and flatten slightly with the back of a spoon. Repeat until dough is gone.
- Bake for 11-15min or until cookies are “set” on top.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle each cookie liberally with the powdered swerve.
- Once cooled slightly, you can remove the cookies and set them on a wire-rack or plate to finish cooling.
- Serve immediately or freeze in an air-tight container for future holiday events! Enjoy!
Nutrition per cookie (based on 24 servings): 76cals | 1g of NET carbs | 7g of fat | 1.5g of protein | 3g of fibre