Hey guys! Today I wanted to do something a little different..no recipe but I promise you I’ll be back to the food posts in no time, haha.
I wanted to discuss the importance of supplementing on the keto diet and what I personally take.
I’ve been on the keto diet off and on 3 times in my life. The first couple times I struggled with several issues.
-I had MAJOR keto flu for the first 5 days (aka, pounding headaches, no energy to do anything, felt nauseous after eating)
-I went through less of a keto flu as I started taking some supplements but started experiencing hair-loss and red, dry eyes about a month in.
-I experienced almost NO KETO FLU(maybe a slight headache occasionally), I supplemented regularly and have had no hair loss and minimal dry eyes.
So what did I do differently this time around?
Well, I actually did my research (scouring the furthest corners of the internet). And I’ve finally come up with an awesome supplement regime that works for me and will likely work for you as well if you’ve experienced any of the symptoms I went through! You don’t have to follow this to a T but I hope it gives you a better idea of a healthy low-carb supplement regime.
My Current Routine:
- Drink at least 2 cups water
- Coffee with 1/2-1 tbsp MCT oil (Helps to give you an immediate energy boost!)and a bit of cream
- Breakfast heavy in sodium (aka eggs and bacon OR just have a cup of salt water OR a pickle with your coffee! haha)
- Optional: 4x capsules, Greens+ Supplement
During the day:
- Drink as much water as I can
- Eat a few pickles or drink a cup of beef broth throughout the day
- Aim to eat foods high in potassium like spinach, avocados, almonds
- 1x potassium 100mg pill with each meal and another if I feel muscle spasms or cramps
**Take-in additional potassium and sodium if working out**
End of day:
- 1-2x omega-3 fish oil capsules (helps with dry eyes!!)
- Take another potassium pill if needed
- Optional: decaf coffee and MCT oil (I find it helps me fall asleep!)
And that’s it! There’s my day of supplementing.
Of course you also want to make sure you are taking in adequate fat and protein and keeping your NET carbs under 50g a day at least… and then you are good to go!
Happy Keto-ing! 🙂